1\4 cup oil
2 - cinnamon sticks
6 - cloves
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
1 large onions, finely chopped
1 1\2 teaspoon garlic paste
1 1\2 teaspoon ginger paste
1 kilogram lean lamb,cubed
1 1\4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon saffron,soaked in two tbsp water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1\2 cup ground almonds
1 1\2 teaspoon salt
1 1\2 cup coconut milk
4 - dried red chillis
1. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan. Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and fry for 1 minute. Add onion, sauté until soft, stirring occasionally.
2. Add garlic and ginger and fry for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add lamb cubes and fry until brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Whisk yogurt, saffron mixture, salt and chili powder together and add to lamb cubes. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Grind almonds with enough water to form a thick paste. Add paste and whole chilies to lamb cubes, stir well to mix paste with gravy. Simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
5. Add coconut milk, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until lamb is cooked through and tender. Uncover the pan for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
6. Transfer to a warmed dish and serve at once.