White rice: 125 gm
Milk: 1 litre
Sugar: 250 gm
Silver leaves: 2 or 3
Saffron: A few stigmas
Pre - Preparation :
1) Soak rice for 12 hrs or so, in a litre of water.
2) Drain all water, and let all outer moisture dry up by spreading
the soaked rice for 10 or 15 mins, on a dry cloth.
3) Crush the soaked softened rice into a meal, by rubbing between hands or grinding.
4) Keep the meal aside in a plate.
Boil the milk.
1) Add the rice meal and go on stirring with a ladle, till it is
cooked into a thick pasty homogeneous pudding.
2) Add sugar. Stir and cook for another 5 mins.
3) Pour into small glass or metallic bowls or plates, to cool and set. 4) For serving, fresh baked clay plates or cups, are usually used.
5) These impart a special aroma to the custard.
6) Decorate each bowl or plate or cup, with a piece of silver leaf
in the middle of the top and spread 2 or 3 wet stigmas of saffron
around the leaf.
Left - Over Ideas :
1) Deep fry cubed bread till golden brown.
2) Top with a spoon of firni, garnish with chopped pista.